Friday, April 18, 2008

Nuggets

Lenny Kaye
April 17, 2008
Guitar Center
NYC

While browsing through the Guitar Center on 14th street one evening I spotted what looked to be Lenny Kaye, he of the Lenny Kaye connection, Patti Smith Band fame, and curator of the influential Nuggets comp, among other serious rock credentials - sitting on a stool trying out a guitar. Does it get any cooler than to run into a musical hero at the guitar shop? Turns out he was there to perform. Seeing the OG punk rocker in a retail environment was an odd scenario to be sure, but at least it was one fully stocked with gear. Kaye played one of the store's $50K Strats with his pick of their collection of pedals and performed solo renditions of several of his original tunes, and then later was joined by a bassist. He ended the set with a version of the anthem, Gloria, that included a narration dedicated to the love of rock & roll and transcended the surroundings of the store.

After the show, he asked me what kind of guitar I played, spotting the gig bag slung across my shoulder that had been the original purpose of my visit to the store. Bass, I told him, and asked him if he had any advice. He leaned in, and in a solemn tone, told me, "You know, the bass is the most important instrument in any band." Then after a pause, he suggested, "When in doubt stick with the A chord."

No comments: